The Outreach and Mission Pastor will be responsible for the overall direction, development and coordination of the outreach and mission ministry for SCBC. Reporting to the Senior Pastor, the Outreach and Mission Pastor oversees the outreach and mission ministry as envisioned by the whole church. Depending on the experience and qualification of the selected candidate, this position will be offered either at a charge pastor or associate pastor level.
Overview of Church and Community
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a trilingual (Cantonese, English, Mandarin) multigenerational church with about 1,800 members. We are located in Scarborough (within the Greater Toronto Area) which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America. We strive to serve the local community and beyond seeking to be a blessing to all peoples.
Please visit our website at www.scbc.com.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- A degree from an accredited academic institution in a related field and/or minimum three years of ministry experience; Master of Divinity an asset.
- In-depth knowledge of missions and evangelism ministries and strategies, with good understanding of multi-ethnic and multi-cultural issues.
- Experience through mission trips and/or cross-cultural field experience.
- Relational, with good interpersonal skills in team building of volunteers, equipping of leaders and networking with local and global partners in missions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English. Proficiency in Cantonese and/or Mandarin language an asset.
- Proficiency in engaging audience on various social media platforms for outreach and mission purposes.
Role and Responsibilities
The Outreach and Mission Pastor will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Overseeing and leading the overall outreach and mission effort of the church;
- Developing the long-term vision and short to medium-term strategies and goals for the outreach and mission ministry;
- Working in partnership with the church pastoral team to coordinate the outreach and mission ministry;
- Inspiring, recruiting, equipping and mentoring congregants for involvement in outreach and mission ministry;
- Serving on the outreach, mission, social concern and evangelism ministry teams; providing consultation and support to lay leaders of the ministry teams;
- Working with the outreach, mission, social concern and evangelism ministry teams to plan, organize and implement initiatives for global mission and reaching out to the local community;
- Collaborating with the church pastoral team to implement training and provide resources for evangelism;
- Coordinating and leading initiatives in church planting and community care and relations;
- Preaching on outreach and mission at worship services.
- A spiritually mature Christian with clear visioning for outreach and mission ministry, sustained passion to reach the world with the love of Christ, and strong commitment to God’s mission for the local church.
- A shepherd’s heart and gifted at evangelism, discipleship, teaching, leadership development and pastoral care.
- Strong leadership skills for leading the outreach and mission ministry teams to successfully achieve their objectives.
- Strong planning and organizational skills for developing various outreach and mission programs and events.
- Good understanding of the challenges and opportunities of outreach and mission ministry in a digital world.
- Good team player to work well and engage with the SCBC pastoral team, lay leaders and the outreach and mission ministry teams towards common objectives.
- Understanding and upholding the SCBC Mission and Statement of Faith.
Please submit a letter and resume detailing how you meet the job requirements as soon as possible to email@example.com or by mail to:
Search Committee for Outreach & Mission Pastor
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
3223 Kennedy Road
Please quote “Outreach & Mission Pastor” in the subject line.
As pastors of SCBC need to have frequent contacts with the congregants and others in the community, all applicants must declare their COVID vaccination status in their application cover letter as to whether they have been fully or partially vaccinated. If offered conditional employment with SCBC, all candidates must provide proof of their COVID full vaccination before the employment start date. If candidates request COVID vaccination accommodation based on medical or other valid reasons, such requests will be considered by the Search Committee.
SCBC is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted by a Pastoral Search Committee member in relation to an employment opportunity, please make your accommodation request, if necessary, at that time. We will take accommodation measures to provide you with a barrier-free selection process. All accommodation requests will be treated confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.