The individual will be working closely with Next Generation Ministry leaders to further develop their team leadership and administrative skills through providing support for Next Generation Ministry programs, care for families, community food banks, and SCBC’s community garden.
Overview of Church and Community
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a trilingual (English, Cantonese, and Mandarin) multigenerational church with about 1,800 members. We are strategically located in Scarborough, Greater Toronto Area, which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America. We strive to serve the local community and beyond in seeking to be a blessing to all peoples.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Passion to Serve
- Accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, confessed your sins, and decided to follow Jesus
- Sustained passion for serving children, youth, and families within the community
- Christ-centered and a strong commitment to God’s mission in a large-sized local church
- Assent to the Statement of Faith, purpose and mission of SCBC
- Participation & Prayer: I will faithfully participate in EM services and pray for the ministry and congregation, both personally and with others in teams
- Priority: I will put my internship as my first priority when planning for this summer.
- Role model: I will be a good role model to co-workers by demonstrating Godly love, positive attitudes, diligence, and responsibility
- Mentorship: In addition to the supervising team, I will regularly connect with one of the EM deacons for ongoing mentorship and personal/spiritual development
- Accountability: I will be accountable for my conduct and actions. I understand that if my behavior/performance comes into question or I have excessive absences or unapproved absences, I will be notified and expected to rectify the problem. If the concern continues, I could be asked to terminate my involvement in my role
- Confidentiality: I agree not to disclose, during and after the period of my employment, any private or confidential information of which I have become aware in the course of my employment, relating to the employer, its employees or member
- Policies: I will adhere to all existing SCBC policies, rules, systems and procedures. In addition, I will complete any required safety training and comply with the Canada Summer Job requirements for this internship.
Role and Responsibilities
The objectives of the English Ministries for 2024 focus on the core values that define the overarching SCBC vision: Intergenerational, Missional and Disciple-making. To make this vision a reality, SCBC continues to create a digital communications hub to serve the needs of our congregation and aims to give back to our local Scarborough community. Digital communication capabilities help us disseminate information in a more effective and inclusive way by:
- Breaking down the barriers of age and disability;
- Strengthening community and unity within our congregation; and
- Improving access to SCBC’s resources and services and our community partners.
We continue to invest in technologies, methods and people, to sustain and extend our digital communications channel for the near- and long-term. This Canada Summer Jobs funded Communications Coordinator position is part of that investment.
- Accountable to the English Ministry Core Leadership Team.
- All day-to-day activities and tasks performed are subject to approval and supervision of the leadership team.
- Supports communication initiatives in both digital and non-digital channels.
Support Communication Processes & Tools:
- Centralize information and messaging between ministry departments, members and the public.
- Evaluate and recommend marketing automation technologies and develop an actionable plan to deploy them.
- Coordinate and collaborate with various ministry teams to identify communication requirements and execution as required.
- Support development of social media guidelines for YouTube and external communications.
- Support development of brand playbook.
Execute Communications Initiatives:
- Setup, optimize, maintain social media channels to increase engagement and improve ease of access to organizational content.
- Support regular ministry related initiatives such as community outreach, member engagement on discipleship, welcoming newcomer plans with necessary content, messaging and design.
- Attend ministry team meetings to understand the perspective, needs, terminology, history and functions of communications within a non-profit organization.
- Assist with the ministry-related digital marketing & communication initiatives (for external and internal communication), not inclusive of the following:
- Upload, edit photos and videos, archiving of varying collections
- Coordinate information updates on varying marketing channels/space
- Organize member engagement database to enable targeted communication
- Build communication materials catered to varying audiences through targeted email newsletters and forums/channels
- Provide analytics/reporting on member engagement via varying digital platforms
- Assist on any additional communication-related matters as needed.
Education, Language and Work Experience
- Experience in execution of traditional & digital communications from a branding, design and content writing perspective
- Experience working with volunteers in a not-for-profit setting
- Grade 12 or university/college student
- Native fluency in written and spoken English
- Fluency in Cantonese and/or Mandarin an asset
- Willingness to work in a collaborative team environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to set work priorities, good time management, and work-time flexibility
- Demonstrate excellent analytical skills, offer a creative problem-solving mindset with a diligent eye for details and follow-through
- Passionate in social justice and poverty issues are an asset
- Knowledge of the Scarborough community is an asset
- Self-motivated, with excellent problem-solving skills
Technology and computer skills
- Advanced skills in Google Drive and other digital platforms
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite specifically in Word and Excel
- Good understanding of social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Google+
- Graphic Design and familiarity with Adobe
- Familiarity with web design and publishing
- Understanding of social media best practices
- Video production experience an asset
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
- Digital communications
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Working with volunteers to serve members & adherents
- Creative writing
- Digital marketing
This position is funded by the Federal Government under the Canada Summer Jobs program, the applicant must:
- Be between 18 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
Please submit a cover letter and resume detailing how you meet the job requirements as soon as possible to: Englishministry@scbc.com or by mail to:
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
3223 Kennedy Road
Please quote “Summer Intern - Communications Coordinator” in the subject line of your correspondence.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SCBC is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted by a Pastoral Search Committee member in relation to an employment opportunity, please make your accommodation request, if necessary, at that time. We will take accommodation measures to provide you with a barrier-free selection process. All accommodation requests will be treated confidentially.
Funding for this position is subject to the Federal Government’s approval of SCBC’s application for Canada Summer Jobs funding.
For inquiries please contact: email@example.com