This half-time position is for someone who has demonstrated a clear desire for the local church, a clear passion for Jesus Christ, and has a heart for youth and the youth culture. This pastoral position is responsible for overseeing and organizing all aspects of Youth & Family Ministry within the church in cooperation with the Lead Pastor and Board of Deacons.
Overview of Church and Community
Avenue Road is a church with new beginnings, and a new vision for reaching the community. We are a mid-sized congregation very focused on meeting those around us, and serving their needs as well as reaching them with the hope and love that comes from Jesus.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ and have demonstrated a public profession of faith
- Able to clearly articulate his/her Faith and Philosophy of Youth Ministry
- A strong sense of call and commitment to Youth Ministry
- Practical Experience in Youth Ministry (at least 1 year)
- Excellent Leadership qualities and the desire and ability to relate to youth, parents, families, leaders, and other adults in a manner that fosters care and respect
- Understanding of youth culture, youth issues, and the needs of this current youth climate
- Strong organization, conflict management, and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Successful clearance of Police Records Check for the vulnerable sector
- Enrolled in currently, or have completed a biblical studies, theology, family or youth ministry related program
Role and Responsibilities
- Plan and oversee a comprehensive program for youth in grades 6-12. Ministry to include a focus on discipleship, fellowship, mentoring, Bible Study, worship and missional living. Other elements should include events such as social events, retreats, missions/service opportunities.
- Maintain a vibrant and fun program, encouraging an atmosphere that is approachable and welcoming to youth, in and outside of ARBC
- Assist on a regular basis in worship services as needed, to maintain visibility and presence within the rest of the congregation, encouraging the participation of youth at the Sunday worship service
- Assist with recruiting, co-ordinating, training and equipping the Youth Ministry volunteers.
- Encourage youth in opportunities for ministry in the life of the church and in the community
- Develop personal contacts with youth and their families
- Network with other youth workers in the region, and also in the denomination
- Regularly report to the Lead Pastor and to the applicable boards (Missions & Discipleship, Deacons)
- Attend meetings as required
- Create and implement a family ministry that encompasses young adults with families, and is inclusive of all age groups in the family unit
- Creative and Resourceful
- An understanding of various social media platforms and church applications/software (planning centre, Slack, etc.)
- Valid Drivers License
- Other applicable courses or Retreat experience
Avenue Road Baptist Church welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. ***