This is a senior leadership role that requires a mature faith in Jesus Christ, a deep sense of compassion for others, and commitment to leading and guiding the church and the pastoral team. MCBC has a regular Sunday attendance of over 1,000 and embraces different cultural backgrounds and language requirements. As the senior pastor, you will represent the church in communal and ecclesiastical functions. You must be a man or woman of God, devoted to His word and prayer. The following are the specific roles and responsibilities, qualifications and requirements of the senior pastor.
Overview of Church and Community
We are extremely grateful to God for Rev. Dr. Tommy Wong who has served Markham Chinese Baptist Church (MCBC) faithfully since 1990 as its founding pastor when we were sent out by SCBC as its Mission church in Markham, Ontario. Since 1996, MCBC has become an independent and autonomous church in the heart of the community. After serving as the senior pastor of MCBC for almost 25 years, Rev. Tommy has decided to retire from the position effective January 2015. We invite all interested candidates to apply for the position. MCBC is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
1. Theological education: Graduated from accredited and recognized theological seminaries.
2. Minimum qualification of M.Div. Having M.Th / D.Min / PhD is an asset.
3. Minimum 7 years pastoral experience, the applicant should have previous Chinese church ministry experience and preferably in a North America multi-cultural and multiple pastoral staff team setting.
4. Having served in a Senior Pastor capacity is an asset.
5. Preferably served for 3 years after being ordained.
6. Preferably with the language skill of Cantonese or Mandarin to communicate with the pastoral staff or congregants.
Role and Responsibilities
1. Envisioning, vision casting and vision alignment
• To lead the pastoral team, deacons and ministry leaders to discern God-inspired vision for MCBC
• To align all 4 divisions to under the same vision, while accommodating diverse cultural backgrounds and languages
• To cast the vision to the whole congregation and lead them to carry out the great commission
• To uphold MCBC core values, congregational church environment and Baptist faith in our decision-making, planning and church development
2. Preaching and Teaching of God’s word
• To preach and teach the word of God with sound doctrine yet with creativity and relevancy to the contemporary issues and life application
• To ensure that the pulpit ministry in all 4 divisions provides spiritual nourishment to the congregants and challenges them to grow spiritually
3. Spiritual leadership
• To have an innovative and courageous leadership style
• To develop a spiritual community model among the pastoral staff and the deacons
• To encourage and empower the pastoral staff, deacons and key leaders
• To ensure that an effective leadership training program for leaders is in place and functional
• To ensure that an effective discipleship program is in place for different spiritual stages amongst the congregants
4. Staff Management
• To provide direction and guidance to the pastoral and office staff
• To ensure that all staff effectively carry out their ministry responsibilities
• To conduct annual reviews in coordination with the deacons and human resources committee
• To assist the pastoral hiring committee with the recruitment of pastoral staff
5. Pastoral Care
• To ensure that the congregants are well cared for by different existing ministries / pastors
• To be compassionate to personal needs and issues
• When appropriate, to provide pastoral care for individual members or families of the congregation
1. Have matured faith in Jesus Christ and a strong commitment to serve through the local church
2. Be a team player with strong leadership skill to lead the church in unity and have the ability to accommodate the cultural differences and languages of our current ministries
3. Have strong communication skills within a large congregational church context to reach out to congregation with diverse ideas for common goals and unity in Christ
4. Have a strong gift in the areas of teaching and preaching the Word of God
5. Be energetic, resourceful and innovative in ministry and leadership development
6. Have strong interpersonal skills and be compassionate and understanding of personal issues
7. Accept the purpose, mission and doctrine of MCBC. CBOQ accredited or willing to become accredited with CBOQ
Name: Deacon Henry Chan
Phone number: 905-887-6222
Address: 9580 Woodbine Ave Markham, ON L6C 1H8
MCBC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.