First Baptist Church Vancouver is searching for a team-oriented, visionary preacher and teacher to provide leadership as our next Senior Pastor.
First Baptist Church Vancouver is a multiethnic, multigenerational, socio-economically diverse congregation of about 650 in the heart of downtown Vancouver, British Columbia. We see this as a resounding demonstration of the gospel’s power to overcome human divisions. We are excited to be near the completion of an extensive building project.
We are seeking a Senior Pastor who is an experienced, collaborative leader, gifted and effective in teaching and preaching in our cultural moment and urban context. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Senior Pastor is responsible for overseeing the pulpit ministry. With the agreement of the Board and in consultation with the Executive Pastor and pastoral staff, the Senior Pastor provides visionary leadership through facilitating the development of the church’s mission and vision. The Senior Pastor enables the worship services, strategic congregational initiatives, and the development of ministries for our neighbourhood, our city, and our world.
Overview of Church and Community
We are a community following Jesus with a heart for the city and beyond.
We seek the peace and flourishing of the city in the following ways.
- Develop a Christ-centered, missional congregation.
- Create opportunities for community-building, especially in a city that has identified social isolation as one of its key challenges.
- Serve the vulnerable and marginalized.
- Welcome immigrants and refugees.
- Support mental health and wellness.
- Offer full-time, quality childcare.
- Provide affordable rental housing.
- Partner with local churches and organizations.
- Contribute towards long-term environmental sustainability.
- Worship that glorifies the Triune God.
- Preaching that declares Jesus and His Gospel of the Kingdom.
- Introducing others to Jesus.
- Equipping one another to live like Jesus in our beautiful but broken world.
- Seeking the favour and empowering of the Holy Spirit.
- Community based on and shaped by the grace of God, wherein we seek to speak the truth in love and show tangible care.
- Prayer as a lifestyle.
- Outrageous generosity.
- Servant leadership.
- Eagerly awaiting the coming of Jesus, bringing with Him a new heaven and a new earth.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Recent proven experience and ability to lead a large, urban, multicultural and multigenerational congregation.
- Gifted in biblical preaching and teaching with a mature understanding of the Scriptures.
- Strong interpersonal skills to build trust through dialogue, with grace and humility, with other leaders, staff, and the congregation.
- Effective and encouraging communicator of vision, mission and values.
- A collaborative leader, a proven leader of leaders.
- Understands the times and culture we live in and is attuned to our society, with a general awareness of what is going on outside the church.
- Fifteen-plus years of varied ministry experience with at least 10 years of experience in a leadership position as an ordained pastor.
- Postgraduate theological or divinity degree.
- Obtain the credentials required to perform the functions of a Senior Pastor in accordance with the Ministerial Protocol Manual of the Canadian Baptists of Western Canada.
- Adhere to the ministerial policies, procedures and protocol of the Canadian Baptists of Western Canada.
- Be fully aligned with the church’s mission, vision, values, bylaws, and doctrinal positions.
- Model and promote the church’s core values.
Role and Responsibilities
- Oversees preaching and teaching ministries.
- Mentors the pastoral team to share in the preaching and teaching ministries.
- Serves as the primary preacher and teacher at First Baptist Church, which would consume approximately 50% of the work week and entail the responsibility to preach from the pulpit 60 to 65% of the preaching time in any given year.
- Provides visionary leadership in discerning the direction of the church.
- Collaborates with the Executive Pastor to ensure directional alignment.
- Models Christ-centered leadership for the Pastoral Team.
- Serves as the primary communicator of the church’s theological commitments, mission, values, goals and strategies to ensure directional alignment, equip the congregation to participate in the ministry of the church, and engage our denomination, ministry partners, and neighbours.
- Participates in denomination life as schedule permits.
Please forward a PDF of your cover letter, CV, and statement of your call to pastoral ministry to email@example.com
Include “First Baptist Church Vancouver - Senior Pastor” in the subject line.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2024
Start Date: July 1, 2024 or later as negotiated
Salary Range: 110-130k
For more information, see our Opportunity Profile: http://tinyurl.com/fbcseniorpastor
First Baptist Church of Vancouver welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.