This is a senior leadership role that requires a mature faith in Jesus Christ, deep passion for people and strong leadership skills. As the Senior Pastor, you will work in collaboration with the pastoral and lay leadership teams to oversee all ministries of SCBC. Along with senior church leaders, you will be the public face of SCBC, representing the church in communal and ecclesiastical functions. You must be a man of God, devoted to His word and prayer.
Overview of Church and Community
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is an evangelical church with three congregations: Cantonese, English, and Mandarin, with a combined weekly attendance of approximately 1,900. We are strategically located in the Greater Toronto Area which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural area in North America.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Mature faith in Jesus Christ and a strong commitment to serve through the local church
- Team player with strong leadership and communication skills within a large congregational context
- Good understanding and awareness of the North American / Multi-cultural ministry context
- Minimum 7 years ministry experience, preferably in a multi-cultural and extended pastoral team setting
- Strong gifting in the areas of teaching and preaching the Word of God
- Preferred Master’s level theological education at an ATS-accredited institution or its equivalents
- Energetic, resourceful and innovative in ministry as well as leadership development
- Strong relational skills and compassionate understanding of personal issues
- Sympathetic with the purpose and mission of SCBC. Understanding of BCOQ, Baptist faith and guidelines
Role and Responsibilities
Relationships - with a deep passion for people, you will journey with them towards an increasingly vibrant faith and relationship with God through Jesus Christ; empowering, motivating and challenging them to serve and live out Kingdom values.
Pastor to the Pastors – in leading the pastorate, you will walk alongside and nurture the pastoral staff team. You will strive to develop a culture and network of relationships that foster mutual care, strong team-work and a model for the congregation. You will work with the Deacon’s Board over matters of pastoral staff recruitment and development.
Vision Casting – with complete dependence on God and building on what God is already doing through SCBC, you will work with the pastors, leaders and congregation to develop a vision for the church. With patience, love and conviction, you will work to gain understanding, consensus and ownership of this vision amongst the congregation.
Preaching and Teaching – you not only love and live out the Word of God, but also love teaching it with creativity and conviction! SCBC has a strong teaching team, and you will complement this team with your unique God-given skills. You will have an opportunity to share the pulpit, Sunday school terms and other teaching opportunities within a team setting.
Management and Administrative – you will also apply your management and administrative skills to ensure ministries are delivered accountably. You and the rest of the leadership shall act as facilitators for timely changes should those needs arise.
Name: Search Committee for Senior Pastor
Phone number: 416-297-8011
Address: Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
3223 Kennedy Road
Canada M1V 4Y1