- The Pastor of Discipleship & Young Adults is committed to the vision of making disciples within the church according to the biblical mandate. He/she will oversee the development and implementation of purposeful discipleship throughout the ministries of the English-speaking congregation.
- He/she is responsible for providing leadership, resources, and programs to promote a culture of discipleship growth through personal spiritual disciplines and communal Christian living among the church members.
- The Pastor of Discipleship & Young Adults will also provide spiritual and pastoral leadership for the young adult ministry.
- The Pastor of Discipleship & Young Adults will work in collaboration with the English Ministry pastoral staff, deacons and lay leaders in a team approach to holistically minister and support the discipleship of the English-speaking congregation.
Overview of Church and Community
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a trilingual (English, Cantonese and Mandarin) multigenerational church with about 1,800 members. We are strategically located in Scarborough, Greater Toronto Area, which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America. We strive to serve the local community and beyond seeking to be a blessing to all peoples.
Please visit our website at www.scbc.com.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
CAPABILITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
- 1. Mature faith in Jesus Christ, godly character, a strong commitment and calling to serve the
- local church (1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:6-9, 1 Peter 5:1-4)
- 2. A proven passion for making disciples and developing teams in a growing church
- 3. Ability to think strategically and involve others in all levels of the disciple-making process
- 4. Team player with strong servant-leadership and communication skills within a large
- congregational context
- 5. Energetic, resourceful and innovative in ministry as well as leadership development
- 6. Strong relational skills and compassionate understanding of personal issues
- 7. Good understanding of the challenges and opportunities in a digital world and familiar with the
- use of social media platforms for communication purposes is an asset
- 8. Willingness to get to know and do life together with leaders, always seeking to keep short
- accounts, care for, encourage, respect, encourage, and love each other.
- 9. Be a self-starter with drive and passion, and a continual learner.
- 10. Assent to the Statement of Faith, purpose and mission of SCBC and to comply with Baptist
- faith and practices
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- 1. Minimum 5 years of ministry experience
- 2. A Master Degree of Divinity (M Div.) or its equivalent in theological education from an
- Association of Theological Schools (ATS) accredited institution.
- 3. Proficient in English (written and orally). Spoken Cantonese/Mandarin an asset.
Role and Responsibilities
- Discipleship and Spiritual Formation
- In partnership with the English Ministry Charge Pastor, articulate a clear, consistent, and biblical understanding of discipleship in leading the people to live out the call to “be a disciple” and “make disciples of all nations”
- Develop, implement and maintain comprehensive discipleship strategies and programs to enhance and enrich congregants’ discipleship journeys and lead the body into greater spiritual maturity
- Ensure integration and alignment between all discipleship/mentorship strategies and
- programs so that ministry leaders work in collaboration and partnership towards a shared
- strategic vision
- Oversee ongoing training and development for new and existing Community Group leaders
- and Christian Life Development teachers
- Curriculum and resource management for the Community Group and Christian Life
- Development ministries
- Work closely with the English Ministry pastoral team to assess areas of need for
- discipleship training and plan appropriate development of spiritual growth
- Develop metrics and methods for measuring transformation in the English-speaking
- congregation each year
Young Adult Ministry
- Provide pastoral insight, leadership and oversight in Young Adult Ministry
- In collaboration with the lay leadership team, create, implement, and manage overall vision
- and strategy to grow, engage, empower and reach the young adults in our community in
- person and online
- Create content and discover resources to help young adults take a step in their faith both
- online and in person
- Develop and execute systems of leadership development and management that shape the
- culture and raise the leadership bar for young adults
- General Pastoral Responsibilities
- Co-work with the Outreach Pastor and the English Ministry pastoral team to provide
- leadership in reaching out to the community
- Participate in general pastoral duties such as preaching, visitation, pastoral counselling and
- other leadership roles as assigned by the English Ministry Charge Pastor.
- Provide clear communication with regards to ministry progress, results, and obstacles to
- the English Ministry Charge Pastor and the English Pastoral Team
- Assist in the development of annual budgets for his/her areas of responsibility with the input
- of his/her ministry team(s)
Collaborate and work closely with current lay leaders in building up a Christ-centered,
- Scriptural-based church community of vibrant faith, hope and love
- Work and collaborate with the current English Ministry pastoral team to provide pastoral
- care and shepherd an English-speaking congregation of 250+ worshippers
- Join the current SCBC pastoral staff in serving a multi-lingual, multi-cultural and multigenerational
- evangelical church of 1,500+ regular Sunday attendance
Please submit a cover letter and resume detailing how you meet the job requirements as soon as
possible to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Search Committee for Pastor of Discipleship & Young Adults
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
3223 Kennedy Road
Please quote “SCBC English Ministry Associate Pastor” in the subject line of your correspondence.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be
SCBC is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments.
If contacted by a Pastoral Search Committee member in relation to an employment opportunity,
please make your accommodation request, if necessary, at that time. We will take accommodation
measures to provide you with a barrier-free selection process. All accommodation requests will be treated confidentially.