Together with the Senior Pastor, provide overall direction, leadership and coordination of ministry within the Mandarin-speaking congregation.
Mentor and supervise the pastoral staff serving in the Mandarin Ministry. Foster team building and personal development by example and through provision of training, inspiration and motivation to ensure staff members are maturing in their faith, growing in their relationship with each other and upgrading their skills.
Oversee the Worship ministry
- Preach regularly in the Sunday Worship Service
- Coordinate pulpit ministry and arrange for speakers (in-house or outside guests)
- Coordinate ordinances and special services (e.g. Holy Communion, Baptism, Good Friday, Easter, Christmas, child dedications, weddings, funerals)
- Oversee all aspects of worship in developing rich worship experiences
- Oversee the prayer and devotional ministries
Oversee the Nurture ministry
- Engage in regular biblical teaching, workshops and seminars (e.g. Sunday school)
- Collaborate with the other Mandarin Ministry Pastors and Deacons to encourage, mentor, equip and develop the spiritual gifts of our leadership team
- In partnership with the Mandarin Ministry Pastors and Deacons:
- develop and acquire resources for Christian education and discipleship
- be involved in the discipleship, mentoring, and the spiritual formation of members
- Challenge and empower the congregation to exercise their God-given abilities and spiritual gifts in the work of the Kingdom
Oversee the Body Life and Care ministry
- In partnership with the Body Life and Care Pastor, oversee the development of congregational life of the community through fellowship groups and small groups
- Engage in systematic pastoral care including visitation, friendship building and other means of connection
- Development and engagement of “special” care including pastoral counseling for pre-marital, marital and personal issues when necessary
- In partnership with the Mandarin Pastors and Deacons, develop and acquire resources to support families and members to grow through various life stages
Oversee the Outreach ministry
In partnership with the Mandarin Pastors and Deacons and the Outreach Pastor:
- motivate and equip the congregation to be involved in evangelism
- design innovative and creative ways to reach out to the local community
- engage the congregation in discerning opportunities for mission and social concern locally and globally
General Pastoral and Administrative duties
- Coordinate the planning of the Mandarin-speaking congregation programming with the other congregations through the Senior Pastor and/or the General Staff Meeting
- Schedule and lead staff meetings with the Mandarin Ministry pastors
- Oversee and delegate other administrative duties pertaining to the Mandarin-speaking congregation
- Support the team of pastors of SCBC by sharing leadership responsibilities for ministry development and together, assist the Senior Pastor to set mid and long term directions for SCBC
- Participate in church-wide activities; lead when assigned
- Participate in denominational and trans-denominational events whenever possible – Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec (CBOQ) Assembly, Toronto Area Association of Baptist Churches, and Toronto Chinese Evangelical Ministerial Fellowship
- Attend or conduct seminars and conferences when invited
- Act as an active liaison between the Mandarin and other congregations of SCBC, integrating to the overall SCBC ministries.
Overview of Church and Community
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is an evangelical church with three congregations: Mandarin, Cantonese, and English. We are strategically located in the Greater Toronto Area which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America.
SCBC is seeking a full-time Mandarin Ministry Lead Pastor who is passionate about ministering to the whole person to lead and shepherd the 150+ members in our Mandarin-speaking congregation. The Mandarin Ministry Lead Pastor, joining the current team of 15 pastoral staff to serve a multilingual, multicultural and multigenerational church of 1500+ regular Sunday attendance, will work in collaboration with the Mandarin pastoral staff, deacons and lay leaders in a team approach to minister, to support the discipleship of the congregation and to report to the Senior Pastor.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- has evidenced a deep devotion and commitment to Christ
- is called and committed to the ministry of the local church
- a dynamic preacher and sound teacher of God’s word
- possesses spiritual maturity and integrity and exemplifies godly servant qualities
- has a strong pastoral shepherd heart
- An effective communicator with strong interpersonal skills
- exercises strong leadership and visionary qualities
- demonstrates organizational skills and team work abilities
- Minimum 5 to 7 years of church pastoral experience in a Mandarin congregation
- preferably 3 to 5 years of lead pastor experience in a Mandarin congregation
- Is fluent in Mandarin (written and orally) and able to communicate in English (written and orally). Spoken Cantonese is an asset but not a must.
- has a Master Degree of Divinity (M Div.) or equivalent level of theological education at an Association of Theological Schools (ATS) accredited institution
We understand that every applicant will also have their own personal expectations and goals. The list above is meant to be a guideline and an exercise of full disclosure of our wishes. As the process of recruitment advances, there will be opportunities to negotiate the scope of your ministry and responsibility.
Upon request, accommodation will be provided for persons with disabilities through all stages of the recruitment and selection process.
Please submit your resume along with a letter of intent to email@example.com or by mail to:
Search Committee for Mandarin Ministry Lead Pastor
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
3223 Kennedy Road