Reporting to the Deacon Board, the role of the Mandarin Ministry Pastor is to be the primary vision-caster, developer and overseer for the Mandarin’s Ministry. Together with the pastoral team, provide overall direction, leadership and coordination of ministry within the Mandarin-speaking congregation.
Overview of Church and Community
The Toronto Chinese Baptist Church is a church that believes in the value of partnerships and of interdenominational cooperation. Located in downtown Toronto, our goal is to grow together in our understanding of faith, serve the local community in the name of Jesus and enjoy the friendship and fellowship of others as we journey through life together.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Graduate from an evangelical seminary or Bible college. Preferably a Master Degree of Divinity (M Div.) or equivalent level of theological education at an Association of Theological Schools (ATS) accredited institution
- Minimum 2-3 years of church pastoral experience in a Mandarin congregation
Role and Responsibilities
Some of the roles and responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Preach regularly in the Sunday and Friday Worship Services
- Coordinate pulpit ministry, arrange for speakers and special services
- Facilitate adult Sunday school teaching, arrange teaching curriculum and materials
- Oversee all aspects of worship in developing rich worship experiences and devotional ministries
- Provide discipleship training and develop church leaders in the context of fellowships and small groups.
- Provide visitation, care and counselling to newcomers and congregation members after Sunday services or as needs arise
- Must be available Friday evenings and Sundays
- Competent servant-leader; has the heart of a shepherd and servant, leads by example in personal, family and ministry life
- Passionate in ministering to the local community; able to strongly relate to Chinese and Western cultures and value settings
- Excellent interpersonal skills; demonstrate ability to cooperate with pastoral staff and leaders of the church as part of a ministry team
- Excellent in Mandarin (written and orally) and fluent in English (written and orally). Spoken Cantonese is an asset but not a must.
Charlotte Liu, TCBC Personnel Committee Secretary
Toronto Chinese Baptist Church welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.