We are looking for a passionate full-time pastor to lead our English congregation (20-30 members). TSBC has 100+ members from children to adults, in three congregations (Cantonese, English, and Mandarin). Our vision as a church is to focus upon 4 simple yet compelling lenses: Bible Knowledge + Apologetics, Prayer, Discipleship + Mentorship, and Community Engagement + People Connections.
Overview of Church and Community
Toronto Swatow Baptist Church (TSBC) is an inter-generational community of Christ-followers located in the heart of an immigrant community; Scarborough, Ontario (Suburb of Toronto). We are looking for a passionate full-time pastor to lead our church, consisting of 100+ members from children to adult, in three congregations (Cantonese, English, and Mandarin). Our leadership structure consists of a Church Council who works alongside a Senior Pastor supported by an English Pastor and Part-Time Mandarin Pastor.
We have an aging Cantonese congregation balanced with a core of strong middle-aged committed Christ-followers passionate about serving our Lord. We have a young English congregation (approximately 30 members) who are predominantly student to early adulthood as the primary age group that has a vibrant Community Group model that has recently been adopted. We have a newly birthed Mandarin congregation with some exciting ministry opportunities ahead of us as we have seen God working in mighty ways through various community service activities.
Church Purpose | Mission Statement
Our vision as a church is to focus upon 4 simple yet compelling lenses: Bible Knowledge + Apologetics, Prayer, Discipleship + Mentorship, and Community Engagement + People Connections.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Mature Christ follower who has a vibrant relationship with Jesus Christ and adheres to all scriptural teachings (and has been baptized)
- Fully embraces the mission, vision and values of TSBC, recognizing their membership to the church, participating in the regular life of the church through all ministries: Worship, Instruction, Fellowship, Evangelism
- A love for people, with excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- A good understanding of culture and the cross-cultural challenges in a multi-cultural church
- Able to mentor and equip others in a multicultural, multi-staff team environment
- Spiritually gifted in the areas of Leadership, Evangelism, Preaching, Administration
- Prefer three years’ experience serving in an evangelical church context (new seminary graduates are welcome to apply)
- Bachelor of Theology degree or higher from an accredited theological seminary, preferred
- Proficient in English. Cantonese would be an additional asset but not required.
Role and Responsibilities
1. Congregational (English) Oversight
- Ensuring proper doctrinal and theological teaching and understanding
- Collaborate with Senior Pastor and ministries to align with church vision and promote unity
- Develop an effective discipleship culture
- Lead and develop strategy for participation of the English congregation in local and global mission
- Serves as primary contact point for interaction and engagement with other churches, outside agencies and organizations for English congregational activities
- Takes on ultimate responsibility for ministries serving the English congregation
2. Pastoral Teamwork
- Work with the Senior Pastor’s leadership and the staff team to develop and implement ministry plans in accordance with church vision
- Co-dependently work with the Senior Pastor to provide spiritual care and support to staff to ensure health and wholeness in life and ministry
- Committed to building healthy team practices and resolution of conflict when necessary
- Worship Ministry
- Oversee and give English in congregational direction for worship and pulpit ministries
- Participate regularly in the preaching and teaching of God’s Word, helping to ensure gospel-centeredness and alignment with church vision and direction
- Help to assess effectiveness of English worship ministries in regards to content, style, structure and design
3. Ministry Groups
- Give overall direction to ministry groups in the development of ministry plans for the English congregation
- Facilitate collaboration and partnership with the English congregation/ministries
To apply, please send your (1) cover letter/resume, (2) personal testimony, (3) statement of faith, (4) and any other documents that you feel would be beneficial in consideration of your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
TSBC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.