Under the supervision of the Executive Minister, the Director of Church Life and Leadership is responsible for equipping and enhancing the capacity of church leaders to build and disciple thriving congregations. To that end, this role focuses on providing resources and services: to equip all areas of church life, for personal and professional development of pastoral leaders and for missional initiatives.
Overview of Church and Community
About Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec
Based in Etobicoke, Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec (CBOQ) equips churches and their leaders as they engage in their mission from God in their community. Comprised of about 340 churches, CBOQ is training, equipping and caring for pastors. We are helping to plant fresh expressions of faith, strengthening existing churches and connecting them with the tools and opportunities they need to thrive. We are serving the next generation by creating resources and experiences for young people and their leaders to expand their love of God and love of each other. We’re telling our churches’ stories to encourage and inspire them, building up our whole family through the good news of what Christ is accomplishing through us. We love and care for our churches and leaders. We love and care for our employees. We are warm and welcoming; we take the time to listen and genuinely understand; we have empathy during tough times, and we make a positive difference in one another’s lives daily. We develop a servant spirit as a significant part of who we are in Christ.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Leadership - Works well with a wide range of individuals to provide support, coaching, encouragement and direction.
- Strategic Thinking – Analyzes the current issues faced by churches and church leaders in order to develop current and long term strategies.
- Innovative - Able to think creatively to develop new solutions that meet current and future needs.
- Service Orientation - Strives for excellence, delivering the highest quality care and resources possible to those we serve.
- Teamwork – Places high value on teamwork and sets values and objectives that encourages team cohesiveness.
- Accountability - Takes ownership of personal workload, as well as the workload of employees under his/her direction.
- Communication - Expresses and shares information with consistency and clarity.
- A mature faith in Jesus Christ and a commitment to serve through the church
- Commitment to the mission, faith and core values of CBOQ
- A clear, comprehensive understanding of the issues faced by CBOQ churches and leaders
- Experience as an ordained pastor in a local church, with a preference for those with CBOQ experience.
- Demonstrated success with leading, coaching and development of pastors, lay leaders, employees and others
- Sound strategic thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills
- Ability to delegate, set expectations, and monitor progress of all direct reports
- Experience and expertise in leadership theory and practice, Christian leadership development and pastoral training
- Ability to build and maintain lasting relationships with key stakeholders
- Preferred Master's level degree, with ministry/theological emphasis
- Will become, or is currently a member of, a local CBOQ congregation
- Ability to travel in the CBOQ constituency and more widely as required to represent CBOQ
Role and Responsibilities
- Live out CBOQ's mission, vision, and values
- A member of the Leadership Team, this role provides input to the development of organizational strategies and priorities.
- Oversee the development and delivery of resources related to congregational initiatives in the areas of church life, including community, worship, formation and mission.
- Create and implement a strategy for personal and professional development of pastoral leaders
- Develop and deliver resources that will assist churches to articulate and live out the mission to which God is calling them
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the Church Life and Leadership department
- Oversee the development and delivery of resources that will enhance the capacity and effectiveness of pastoral leaders through training, coaching, consulting and other learning opportunities.
- Oversee the development and delivery of resources and coaches to help churches plant or replant their church.
- Provide oversight to the accreditation process
- Evaluate employee performance and provide feedback, coaching and formal evaluations
- Oversee the development and delivery of transition and relocation resources for pastoral leaders and churches
- Is the staff representative of and provides support to the Ministerial Resources Committee Executive
- Provide oversight to the grants process
- Along with the leadership team, establish and maintain relationships with strategic partners and key stakeholders
- Develop and control annual budget and long-term financial plans for ministry area
- Provide co-leadership to Board-appointed advisory or missional teams as needed
- Refine and implement the Membership Review Process
- Strengthen and integrate our Baptist identity polity and teaching into pastoral and church touchpoints across CBOQ teams
- Responsible for Leadership Development resources for Church Boards and Pastors, including delivery and implementation models
- Coach and develop the Church Life and Leadership team to innovate and deliver programs and events with excellence
Qualified candidates may apply by August 15, 2021 to Tim McCoy, Executive Minister, through the link below.
Please note that to be considered, all applications must be submitted via this link.
All candidates whose training, experience and aptitudes meet the requirements for the job will be considered. CBOQ welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.