Work within the administrative team to manage and maintain the church building and facilities including the parking lot and open spaces to ensure a safe, hygienic, presentable and comfortable environment for use in compliance with the municipal code and the fire, health and safety standards.
Overview of Church and Community
Currently the church has a team of pastoral staff and 1100+ congregants across four Divisions: English (200+ people), Mandarin (200+ people), Cantonese (550+ people) and Young Life Division (150+ people). The church is strategically situated next to Hwy 404 between Major Mackenzie Drive E. and 16th Avenue in a residential area developed over the past 20 years and is expanding into the north with predominately Asian origin.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Ability to work independently in a safe and responsible manner.
- Ability to work irregular hours, including evening and periodic on-call coverage.
- Academic or technical qualification and certificate in building and environmental systems from a Community College would be an asset.
- Experience in janitorial and custodial work.
- Physical fitness and ability to operate floor washers and equipment, to lift heavy objects, to climb stairs and ladders, to perform duties at height and to perform general gardening and small scale snow shoveling duties.
- Ability to work co-operatively with church staff, pastors, volunteers, congregation and visitors in a multicultural environment.
- Possession of a valid first aider certificate would be an asset.
- Ability to show respect, helpfulness and hospitality to visitors and congregants at all times
Role and Responsibilities
- Ensure the church building and facilities including the parking lot and open spaces are maintained in good and satisfactory condition at all times
- With thoroughness and commitment, ensure spaces are ready for the next day, including taking out trash, tidying, rearranging furniture, and wiping surfaces as needed
- Sweep and mop floors, as well as vacuum carpets
- Clean and sanitize all bathroom facilities including toilets, sinks, and showers
- Order and restock items related to the use and the maintenance of facilities (e.g. soap, paper products, cleaning products)
- Cleaning of mirrors and windows as needed
- General outdoor services and maintenance, such as watering plants, mowing lawn,
sweeping entry areas, cleaning glass doors at entrances
- Perform basic maintenance work and minor repairs is a plus (replacing broken switches, repairing door handles, replacing lightbulbs etc.)
- Report major damages to management and be willing to oversee and assist repairs
- Make sure church facilities is locked properly at end of the day including closing windows, locking doors and gate and setting alarm
- Undertake occasional seasonal tasks (e.g. shoveling snow from the pedestrian pathways)
- Other custodial duties as and when required
- Ability to perform minor repairs (electrical, plumbing and minor carpentry).
- Good command of English, Cantonese and Mandarin; oral and written, to carry out
- Ability to use electronic media such as email and WhatsApp for communications such as sending/receiving official information from the Administration.
Church Phone Number: 905-887-6222
NB: People with disabilities are welcome and will be accommodated upon successful selection.