The Communications Lead is part of the Communications and Member Care Team. The overall mandate of this team is to champion the vision, mission and values of CBOQ to our member churches, staff and volunteers. To that end, this team focuses on: building and strengthening a sense of family and community between CBOQ churches and with CBOQ as an organization through sharing stories, information and promoting opportunities for cooperation and collaboration; and, ensuring we have the people and funding in place to advance our mission.
Under the supervision of the Senior Director of Operations, the Communications Lead develops and implements our communications strategy to serve our churches and increase engagement with our resources. The Communications Associate manages, with our staff team, the development and delivery of resources for our churches and shares the stories of our family of churches.
Overview of Church and Community
About Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec
Based in Etobicoke, Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec (CBOQ) equips churches and their leaders as they engage in their mission from God in their community. Comprised of about 340 churches, CBOQ is training, equipping and caring for pastors. We are helping to plant fresh expressions of faith, strengthening existing churches and connecting them with the tools and opportunities they need to thrive. We are serving the next generation by creating resources and experiences for young people and their leaders to expand their love of God and love of each other. We’re telling our churches’ stories to encourage and inspire them, building up our whole family through the good news of what Christ is accomplishing through us. We love and care for our churches and leaders. We love and care for our employees. We are warm and welcoming; we take the time to listen and genuinely understand; we have empathy during tough times, and we make a positive difference in one another’s lives daily. We develop a servant spirit as a significant part of who we are in Christ.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Service Orientation - Strives for excellence, delivering the highest quality care and resources possible to those we serve.
- Communication – Ensures communication efforts meet the needs of various groups and is properly understood. Verbally communicates information with clarity. Writes with clarity and purpose.
- Innovative and a “can do” attitude - Able to think creatively to develop new solutions that meet current and future needs. Looking to grow and learn with an outlook that is positive and strives to take on challenges.
- Planning and Organizing – Manages multiple tasks and projects with competing priorities by anticipating obstacles and demonstrating judgment and flexibility to adjust as required.
- Results Orientation – Demonstrates a focus on finishing all tasks in a timely manner while taking complete ownership of tasks.
- Collaboration – works cooperatively and effectively with others to reach a common goal.
- A mature faith in Jesus Christ and a commitment to serve through the church
- Commitment to the mission, faith and core values of CBOQ
- Demonstrated experience in a variety of media, including print, internet and electronic communications, web, social media and presentations.
- Competency with current communications technology, Microsoft Office, Word Press and the Adobe Creative Suite.
- An English or Communications University degree, or equivalent work experience
- Fundraising and non-profit experience would be an asset
Role and Responsibilities
- Live out CBOQ's mission, vision, and values
- With the Senior Director of Operations, develop and implement a strategy that supports the effective sharing of the CBOQ story through web, social media, video, presentations, print materials and other means.
- Manages, with our staff team, the development and delivery of resources for our churches.
- Oversee the development and production of media presentations, print materials, newsletters, news releases and communiqués.
- Responsible for fundraising communications to individual donors and CBOQ churches
- Oversees enhancements and maintenance of the CBOQ website.
- Develop and implement process to curate stories from our churches.
- Establish and enforce brand guidelines and writing excellence across CBOQ teams.
- Oversee the development and production of the logos, print materials and other communication pieces for the annual Assembly and CBOQ events.
- Work with contractors and other staff as necessary to ensure projects are accomplished according to standard, including content development, editing, and proofreading.
- Oversee the management of social media feeds, including developing content schedule, required assets, scheduling and engaging with CBOQ’s audience.
- With the Senior Director of Operations, prepare an annual communications budget and monitor expenditures, including negotiating, purchasing and supervising all outside services.
- Collaborate creatively to generate new ideas about ways to connect with and inspire our constituency.
- Evaluate employee performance and provide feedback, coaching and formal evaluations.
- Other duties as required.
Qualified candidates may apply by August 15, 2021 to Yvette Kayode, HR Lead, through the link below.
Please note that to be considered, all applications must be submitted via this link.
All candidates whose training, experience and aptitudes meet the requirements for the job will be considered. CBOQ welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.