Under supervision of the ministers, the Church Ministry Assistant will: assist the congregation with administrative work pertaining to the operation of the Church and assist the ministers and staff in all administrative work pertaining to their ministry.
Overview of Church and Community
Highland Baptist Church is located in central Kitchener. Our mission: God calls us to practice the compassion and love of Jesus Christ, locally and globally, in risk-taking mission and service and to nurture a diverse and thriving church family where all people of every ethnicity may worship and serve God with joy.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
Minimum High School graduate, with several years’ experience in an administrative role. Some post-secondary training preferred.
Role and Responsibilities
- Perform reception duties: answer telephone, redirect calls, messages; greet visitors to the church in a warm and friendly manner; provide assistance, information, etc.
- Prepare bulletins for Sunday services and other services as needed and publishing them on the church website.
- Post weekly contributions
- Prepare and assign contribution boxes and mail boxes
- Provide administrative services to the Minister, Assistant Ministers and Team Leaders.
- Provide administrative services to Church members who do not have access or ability otherwise, as needs require. (if questions arise, consult with the Team leaders)
- Prepare and send out letters/cards of welcome to visitors to the church
- Post bulletin and other updates on the church website
- Provide support for Outreach Programs (such as Childrens' Needs Distribution Centre (CNDC). Book appointments for the CNDC.
- Assist the Co-ordinator of the Highland News in the lay out of the newsletter, if required
- Assemble reports for the Annual Report, arrange for printing and publishing
- Maintain a telephone and address directory of the congregation - including birth dates - to be printed as required) in conjunction with the Ministers - as up-to-date as possible
- Co-ordinate all room usage, bookings and rentals in liaison with the Team leaders or Vision and Leadership Board
- Open mail and redirect to appropriate persons
- Check church’s email daily and respond or redirect as required
- Order office supplies including postage
- Prepare Marriage Certificates and maintain Church Wedding Register
- Attend regular staff meetings as required
- Meet with the custodian regularly to inform them of all activities and special arrangements
- Manage Petty Cash funds and write cheques on benevolent fund as directed by Worship Team
- Manage and distribute keys in liaison with the Property Team
- Arrange for the repair and maintenance of all office equipment
- Maintain Procedures and Information Manual
- Monitor and provide administration (billing etc.) for “outside” use of the church parking lot including electronic fund transfers and post-dated cheques
- Write cheques on the church bank accounts based on approvals from Team leaders, including scanning bills and electronic approvals; alert signing authorities when cheques are ready for signature.
- Perform other reasonable administrative tasks as assigned.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good judgment and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to respond in a friendly manner to a wide diversity of personalities and cultures
- Ability to work collaboratively with the Pastoral Team
- Engaging in team conversation about specific projects and issues
- Open to building healthy relationships with team members.
- Management of supplies and office equipment
- Creative problem solving ability
- Time Management skills
- Proactive thinking and planning on a yearly scope
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to manage numerous distractions and interruptions
- Proficiency with computer software (Word, Excel, Publisher) and maintain an online presence of the church on the website, Facebook and other platforms as technology and culture changes.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (Personnel Chair)
Highland Baptist Church welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.