We are a tri-congregational evangelical church seeking a Pastor for the Cantonese congregation. A pastor with honesty
and integrity who genuinely cares for the church, upholds the importance of understanding the Bible, and desires to
share their passion in Christ. Our church is looking for a leader who is called by the Holy Spirit to care for the church
and to oversee all Cantonese ministries with other church leaders.
The Cantonese Pastor, alongside other pastoral staff, shall work under the supervision of the senior pastor. He is accountable to the Board of Deacons on administrative and employment matters.
Overview of Church and Community
Established 1975, Montreal Chinese Baptist Church (MCBC) is in Downtown Montreal, just North of the Chinatown and east of McGill University, we have been a hub for students attending universities nearby. In the early 90’s, MCBC had a church-planting vision. It materialized in 1997 when the Montreal City West Baptist Church was planted in Ville SaintLaurent.
Currently, MCBC has an estimated 200 members within 3 different language specific congregations (English, Mandarin and Cantonese). Members of the congregations are predominately Chinese immigrants and their descendants. All 3 congregations share a unified leadership board, but each has its own committee overseeing its Sunday school, worship ministry, evangelism, fellowship and caring ministry. Similarly, each congregation has its own worship service and Sunday school. The children ministry is jointly organized by all 3 congregations.
Church Purpose | Mission Statement
Our mission is to first ensure we follow Jesus, so we can be a vehicle to help other people in Montreal (and beyond) to know Jesus, and then to become his followers.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Graduated from accredited and recognized theological seminaries with a master’s degree in divinity (MDiv) or similar.
- Fluent in Cantonese. Working level of English.
Role and Responsibilities
- Preach in the weekly Cantonese Sunday service.
- To ensure that the Cantonese congregants are well cared for by different existing ministries.
- To provide counselling and conduct visitation of Cantonese speaking church attendees as needed.
- Attend regular meetings of the Board of Deacons, and of other committees as necessary.
Details will be further discussed during interviews.
- Value teamwork and have communication skills.
- Able to communicate the Gospel to Cantonese speaking people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Approachable. Able to handle relational issues.
- Uphold the importance of teaching and preaching.
- Have the ability to teach others how to understand the Bible.
Please contact Janet Li and Kin Li at firstname.lastname@example.org
Montreal Chinese Baptist Church welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.