SCBC seeks an Audio-Visual (AV) Specialist to manage and oversee the audio/visual equipment and infrastructure which is the backbone of our public and internal communication system. This includes but not exclusive to the phone and communication system, multimedia delivery Systems, audio/video systems and stage lighting Systems. The incumbent understands these systems, its integration and connectivity, and hardware and software components.
The incumbent is someone with a heart for ministry, a leader who can equip, coach and train volunteer teams. This position requires working closely with ministry leaders, Technical Support Officer, staff members and volunteers; and reports directly to the Administration Manager/AV Leader.
Overview of Church and Community
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a trilingual (Cantonese, English, Mandarin) multigenerational church with about 1,800 members. We are located in Scarborough (within the Greater Toronto Area) which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America. We strive to serve the local community and beyond seeking to be a blessing to all peoples.
Please visit our website at www.scbc.com.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Excellent communicate skills (verbal and written). Knowledge of Cantonese/Mandarin an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – able to address issues, members concerns and event organizers in a professional manner.
- Exhibit leadership in a team environment.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working with audio/video systems. College degree in related area or equivalent experience.
- Proficient in digital/analog audio and video systems, troubleshooting, and maintenance.
- Ability to trouble-shoot problems and react promptly to situations. Possess a positive and proactive work ethic.
- Able to setup and operate audio & video equipment.
- Proficient with presentation software, video system and video streaming.
- Have to capacity to expand and keep up with evolving technologies, and the ability to research and recommend cost effective solutions to address user requirements.
- Spiritually mature believer in a growing relationship with Jesus Christ with a passion for the local church and the wider kingdom of God.
Role and Responsibilities
- General and Infrastructure
- Primary responsibility is to ensure the audio/visual equipment and infrastructure function at 99.9% up-time. To develop a contingency plan to fall back on should any part of the equipment or infrastructure fail, and test periodically.
- Manage system security. To implement and monitor security of the equipment and infrastructure and safe guard these from inappropriate use. To create and manage system access policies for staff members, users and volunteers.
- Conduct scheduled audits of equipment and infrastructure. To report on the status of the various systems within our infrastructure and to provide recommendations for upkeep, upgrade or replacement.
- Work closely with staff members, Technical Support Officer and volunteers to support and maintain the infrastructure.
- Work closely with ministry leaders and Technical Support Officer to identify user needs, to formulate recommendations, guidelines, and implementation plan.
- Manage recruitment and training. He/she is responsible for recruiting, training and scheduling of volunteers to support various AV, lighting and media systems.
- Audio-Visual Systems
- To ensure all systems (audio, video, stage lighting and multi-media) are fully operational at all events located in but not exclusive to the sanctuary, chapel, gymnasium and classrooms.
- Set up contingency plan, back-up system, execute trial runs to ensure worship services and special events continues to function.
- Special event and outside events. To assist the event manager/coordinator to identify AV requirements and by providing recommendations, technical support and assigning volunteers to these events.
- Event Overflow: To identify overflow requirements, configure and implement system accordingly.
- Weekends and Special events. To ensure all AV systems are fully operational and ready, that volunteers are fully engaged and communicated to.
- Be on standby. Run “Front of House” (FOH) or other positions in the team when volunteers are not available to serve.
- Prepare systems to record audio and video of worship services, special events and Sunday School sessions.
- Manage and coach AV volunteers. To develop guidelines and processes for recruiting and training AV volunteers.
- Provide spiritual leadership and genuine care for the well-being of your team of volunteers.
- Maintain a schedule of volunteers for worship services and special events, making sure all the roles are fulfilled.
- Provide basic training to ministry volunteers for recurring events (e.g. children’s ministry, prayer ministry, Word of Life, mission month, etc.)
- Any other AV and infrastructure related tasks assigned by Administration Manager/AV leader.
- Support online, live streaming for worship services and special events.
Please submit a cover letter and resume detailing how you meet the job requirements as soon as possible to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
3223 Kennedy Road
Please quote Audio Visual Specialist in the subject line.
As staff of SCBC need to have frequent contacts with the congregants and others in the community, all applicants must declare their COVID vaccination status in their application cover letters—whether they have been fully or partially vaccinated. If offered conditional employment with SCBC, all candidates must provide proof of their COVID full vaccination before the employment start date. If candidates request COVID vaccination accommodation based on medical or other valid reasons, such requests will be considered by the Search Committee.
SCBC is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted by a Pastoral Search Committee member in relation to an employment opportunity, please make your accommodation request, if necessary, at that time. We will take accommodation measures to provide you with a barrier-free selection process. All accommodation requests will be treated confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Upon request, accommodation will be provided for persons with disabilities through all stages of the recruitment and selection process.