Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church is seeking an Associate Pastor of Cantonese Ministry.
Overview of Church and Community
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a multilingual church with three congregations: Cantonese, Mandarin and English. We are strategically located in Scarborough, Toronto which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America. We are seeking a full-time pastor to minister in our Cantonese-speaking congregation. The pastor will serve under the leadership of the Cantonese Charge Pastor and in collaboration with the Cantonese pastoral staff, other pastoral staff, deacons and lay leaders in a team approach.
About Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church https://www.scbc.com/
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- A master’s degree in Divinity (M.Div.) or equivalent level of theological education at an Association of Theological Schools (ATS) accredited institution.
- Minimum three years of experience in a local church or a Christian organization.
- A deep devotion and commitment to God and a conviction of God’s calling to the ministry of a local church
- A passion and vision to evangelism and discipleship; able to mobilize others in a collaborative team environment
- Strong capacity for organization, managing conflicts, and problem solving.
- Reliable, take initiative, and self-motivate.
- Adapt to change, embrace innovation and creativity.
- Strong team player and interpersonal skills.
- Read and write Chinese, fluent in Cantonese with excellent communication and administrative skills.
- Capable of communicating in English (written and oral). Spoken Mandarin is an asset.
- Proficient in basic computer software (MS Office Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook) and the willingness to learn other software.
Upon request, accommodation will be provided for persons with disabilities through all stages of the recruitment and selection process.
Role and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership, support, and strategy in order to develop all facets of the evangelism ministry as a platform for the Cantonese congregants to utilize their gifts and strengths in fulfilling the Great Commission.
- Oversee and provide support to all programs and sub-groups within the evangelism ministry.
- Co-work with the Young Adult Pastor to provide strategic leadership in reaching out to young adults in the community.
- Co-work with all other pastors and lay leaders in coordinating evangelistic events and activities, and developing strategies to reach out to new immigrants and returning Canadian citizens from Hong Kong.
- Equip, train, and mobilize congregants to spread the gospel fervently and effectively.
- Visit non-believers and conduct personal evangelism.
- Co-work with the Outreach & Mission Charge Pastor to provide short-term mission opportunities to the Cantonese congregants.
- Preach and teach regularly and not restricted to just the scope of evangelism.
- Provide pastoral care and counselling as needed.
- Perform other pastoral duties as deemed necessary in response to ministry needs or as assigned.
Please submit your resume along with a covering letter to email@example.com or by mail to:
Search Committee for Cantonese Ministry Associate Pastor Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
3223 Kennedy Road
M1V 4Y1 Canada