The full-time Associate English Pastor will lead the English language ministry of ETCBC, with a focus on local community and building relationships and partnerships, serving alongside and working with pastors, staff and lay leaders of the Chinese-speaking (Mandarin and Cantonese), Youth, Children, and Community Outreach ministries. We hope the successful candidate will begin ministering with us by the fall of 2019, and earlier if possible.
Overview of Church and Community
East Toronto Chinese Baptist Church is a multi-lingual, multi-cultural, multi-congregational and multi-generational community of followers of Jesus Christ, whose mission is “to inspire, enable and develop people to grow in their understanding of Kingdom values and to use their God-given gifts to live out those values in all spheres of life.”
ETCBC’s vision is that starting with our church and local community, Victoria Village, ETCBC will train people to minister in their own homes, communities, places of work and beyond. The English language ministry, consisting of about 100 regular adult attendees and about 45 children and youth, is a community of committed followers of Jesus that tries to constructively engage with aspects of culture such as social media, issues such as mental health and sexual and gender identity, and with diverse voices from different generations (Baby Boom to Gen-Z).
Qualifications and Education Requirements
1) Possesses the following academic credentials from an accredited North American bible college or seminary:
- a) Bachelor degree in pastoral ministry or equivalent, and/or
- b) working towards or having the intention of completing graduate level theological training (e.g. Master of Divinity or Master of Theological Studies degree).
2) Character: Mature follower of Jesus Christ, who seeks to continue to grow in relationship with God through regular practice of spiritual disciplines (Scripture reading, prayer and solitude, small group fellowship, engaged in spiritual direction, giving, service), models servant-leadership, and seeks to live faithfully, manifested as the fruit of the Spirit.
3) Cultural Awareness and Intercultural Experience: has work or life experience within an intercultural (preferably Asian-Canadian) context. Continually seeks to deepen understanding of contemporary Canadian society to minister effectively with the English congregation. Missions experience in a cross-cultural setting is an asset.
4) Denominational requirements: qualified or seeking to be qualified for ordination in the Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec (CBOQ)
5) Personality: relational/caring, approachable, adaptable, has high emotional intelligence and self-awareness, and inspires confidence in leadership.
Role and Responsibilities
1) Strategic planning:
- a) Along with the ETCBC deacon board and other pastoral staff, continue to refine and execute the ETCBC vision and mission for the next 5 years.
- b) Carry out strategic planning with the English Ministry Committee (EMC) for the English congregation to develop into a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural community.
- c) Effectively communicate strategic plan to promote congregational understanding, and to inspire participation and commitment.
2) Pastoral care, preaching, discipleship/leadership development:
- a) Develop relationships with and provide pastoral care to congregants. Able to minister to young families, and speak to marriage/relationship issues and mental health issues.
- b) Preach regularly for Sunday worship services as a member of the English congregation’s preaching team.
- c) Model servant leadership. Recruit, train and mentor English congregants to become lay leaders - including, but not limited to, Sunday School teachers (adult and children’s ministries), youth ministry mentors, small group leaders, preaching team members, English Ministry Committee (EMC) and Deacon Board (DB) members. Support and help develop adult small group ministry.
3) Coordination and facilitation:
a) Maintain ongoing communication with other pastors, church staff, EMC, missions committee, ETCBC Executive Board (EB) and ETCBC Deacon Board (DB) so as to promote church-wide awareness of ministry activities, events and developments. Help coordinate, facilitate, and plan cross-congregational ministries where beneficial for promoting church unity.
b) Communicate and promote ministry activities, events and developments to English congregation.
c) Maintain and further develop partnerships with community and outside organizations who share or support ETCBC vision and values, e.g. Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec, the Hub in Victoria Village, Toronto City Mission Role Model Moms program, Life in Christ (LinC) Arabic speaking outreach ministry.
- Minimum 3+ years experience as an English language congregational pastor, preferably in a Canadian church.
- Capable of working with multi-generational, multi-ethnic groups in a variety of settings. Capable of working with people of different ages and cultural backgrounds. Experience with a Chinese Canadian or multicultural church an asset.
- Possesses strong verbal and written communication skills in English. Able to work with Mandarin and Cantonese speakers. While facility in Mandarin or Cantonese is an asset, this should not deter potential applicants.
- Administrative, organizational and time management skills. Self-starter, team and consensus builder. Ability to facilitate and direct discussion and ministry decision-making.
Please submit a cover letter describing your interest and a resume (Microsoft Word or pdf document) by e-mail to the pastoral search committee, care of the ETCBC office (e-mail address below).
ETCBC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. ***