The purpose of this position, under the direction of the Board of Deacons, is to ensure that the church facilities are clean, safe and appropriately set up to enable effective ministry.
Overview of Church and Community
Mississauga City Baptist Church is a community of believers with 6 core values:
Intentionally Multi-Cultural: We are committed to provide a welcoming place in the name of Jesus Christ for as many of the peoples and cultures in Mississauga and surrounding areas as we can.
Intentionally Multi-Generational: We are committed to provide suitable spiritual care and growth experiences for people of all ages by building the Christian family unit.
Uplifting Worship: We are committed to the centrality of Scripture as our source of preaching and teaching for public and private study. We are committed to a blended style of worship which values both the rich history of hymnology and the emerging styles of contemporary sounds and songs.
Effective Cell Groups: We are committed to the cell group model of personal fellowship and growth for every member of our congregation.
Empowering People for Service: We are committed to enlist and equip people to serve the Lord through the church and in the community according to their spiritual gifts and passions.
Creative Outreach: We are committed to reach our world for Jesus Christ with local, national, and global emphasis balancing spiritual care with appropriate social care.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Capable cleaner, attentive to details
- Basic knowledge of building and property maintenance, including maintenance of cleaning and lawn care equipment, heating, plumbing and electrical services
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions with attention to detail
- Ability to lift and move church equipment and furniture
- Access to a vehicle to run errands as necessary
- Initiative, reliability and an optimistic outlook
- Commitment to the mission and core values of Mississauga City Baptist Church
Role and Responsibilities
The building is to be cleaned and maintained to the agreed specifications. Tasks include:
- Sweep, dust, vacuum, mop etc. all common areas
- Clean and disinfect bathroom fixtures, floors and countertops
- Restock all paper towel and toilet paper dispensers
- Empty all waste receptacles and recycle bins
- Clean windows and glass doors
- Perform routine maintenance, as necessary, and liaise with contractors working in the building
- Operate and maintain the heating/cooling system
- Prepare rooms for church programs (i.e. setup chairs, tables, equipment, etc.)
- Remove snow from entrance way and sidewalk. Salt as necessary.
- Mow lawns, trim grass around the fence line, rake, and tidy the church grounds
- Fill/empty the baptism tank as required
Support the Board of Deacons. Tasks include:
- Maintain a file of repairs, maintenance expenses, service appointments, equipment manuals, and warranties
- Change the letter block on the church sign as necessary
- Monitor and reorder supplies (cleaning supplies, paper goods, kitchen supplies, etc.)
- Deal with contractors (i.e. snow ploughing, electrical workers, lighting, painting, carpet cleaning, waste and recycle disposal)
- Arrange for annual inspection of fire systems
- Arrange for equipment rentals as necessary
- Communicate regularly with the Chairperson of the Board of Deacons
- Work alongside the staff team to ensure building maintenance and setup needs are adequately addressed
- The Church Custodian must possess mobility to work in large, two-story facility
- Specific visual abilities include the ability to read print material and a computer screen, including close and colour vision
- Hearing and speech to communicate in person
- Physical ability to walk up and down a ladder and stairs, and lift up to 75 pounds
Interested candidates can submit their resume with cover letter to Pat Trueman at email@example.com no later than March 31, 2019, with “Church Custodian” in the subject line.
Mississauga City Baptist Church welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. ***