The individual will be working closely with Children’s Ministry leaders to further develop their team leadership and administrative skills through providing support for Children’s Ministry programs, care for families, community food banks, and SCBC’s community garden.
Overview of Church and Community
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a trilingual (English, Cantonese, and Mandarin) multigenerational church with about 1,800 members. We are strategically located in Scarborough, Greater Toronto Area, which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America. We strive to serve the local community and beyond in seeking to be a blessing to all peoples.
Please visit our website at www.scbc.com for more information.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
This position is funded by the Federal Government under the Canada Summer Jobs program, the applicant must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Education, language, and work experience
- Experience working with volunteers in a not-for-profit setting.
- English speaking of any ethnic background.
- Fluency in Cantonese and/or Mandarin is an asset.
- Past experience serving in SCBC SummerFun camps is preferable.
Technology and computer skills
- Advanced skills in Google Drive, MS Word, and Excel.
- Good understanding of social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, and other social media best practices are preferred.
- Planning Center Online (PCO) training will be provided as the operational requirement.
- Familiarity with web design and publishing is ideal.
Possession of a valid driver’s license is ideal.
Role and Responsibilities
- Under the leadership of the Children’s Ministry Pastor and Children’s Ministry Summer Supervisor, plan and execute the camp programs for children aged 4-12 (SK-Grade 6).
- In partnership with the SCBC Youth Ministry, plan and execute a transitional strategy for children who are entering Junior High (Grade 7) in September 2023.
- Assist with the video production for online content to minister to kids and families.
Community Food Bank & Garden Care Support
- Assess and call the families, prepare food hampers alongside other volunteers for food bank operation
- Prepare and maintain SCBC community garden on a weekly basis
- Be involved in the recruitment process of volunteers, including interviewing and selecting suitable candidates.
- Plan and provide the necessary training to volunteers for the camp setting. (eg. puppeteering, safety protocol training)
- Supervising and leading the volunteer team to execute camp programs.
Any other related duties assigned by the Pastor of Children’s Ministry or Children’s Ministry Summer Supervisor.
- Passion to serve
- Accepted Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, confessed your sins, and decided to follow Jesus.
- Sustained passion for serving children, youth, and families within the community
- Christ-centered and a strong commitment to God’s mission in a large-sized local church.
- Participate and contribute to our weekly team devotion
Personality and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal language skills in English are critical.
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to set work priorities, good time management, and work-time flexibility.
- Experienced and willing to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Passionate in social justice and poverty issues are an asset
- Knowledge of the Scarborough community is an asset
Please submit a cover letter and resume detailing how you meet the job requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “SummerFun 2023 Summer Intern” as the subject line.
Anyone is welcome to apply for our paid positions, but we prioritize qualified student applicants 17 years of age and older.
SCBC is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted by a Search Committee member in relation to an employment opportunity, please make your accommodation request, if necessary, at that time. We will take accommodation measures to provide you with a barrier-free selection process. All accommodation requests will be treated confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Work times may vary depending on the program operation requirements.
The work schedule will be discussed during the interview.
★ SCBC has applied for Canada Summer Jobs funding for the advertised position, if our application is successful it will be funded by the Federal Government under the Summer Job Program accordingly.
★ For inquiries please contact: email@example.com