Priory Park Baptist Church (PPBC) is seeking a Pastor who is spiritually mature (having lived experience of God’s active presence in their life and led by the Holy Spirit through prayer). We are looking for someone who is a team-builder and disciple-maker, skilled in collaboration, communication, inspiring others through modelling and encouragement.
Overview of Church and Community
PPBC was established in the 1970’s near the University of Guelph to reach that community and the neighbourhoods around it. We are a friendly, welcoming congregation, diverse in age, ethnicity, and denominational backgrounds.
Presently our Sunday morning attendance is approximately 50 in-person, plus on-line attendees. Our worship service is contemporary using both video media and occasionally a live worship team. Our ministry focuses are: small groups, Alpha, children’s Sunday school, Community garden outreach, supporting outreach to Asia through on-line teaching and financial support, and supporting PACE (Pan African Christian Exchange) Ministries Kenya.
Church Purpose | Mission Statement
“Our purpose is to let God’s love and acceptance flow through us to each other and our neighbours so that we all may become whole-hearted followers of Jesus Christ. We acknowledge ourselves to be a local manifestation of the universal Church in and through which Jesus Christ continues to minister to the world by His Holy Spirit. We shall seek to fulfill this calling through corporate worship services, through a program of Christian nurture by which our members may be built up in their faith and love, through proclamation of the gospel in word and deed, and through ministering to human need in the name of Christ.”
PPBC uses the framework of “BELONG, GROW and SERVE” to fulfill our mission:
We BELONG… to God…to His family…to our congregation.
We GROW…in faith…in love for God, each other and our neighbours.
We SERVE…God…each other…our community.
ALL FOR GOD’S GLORY
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Spiritually mature person of God, committed to following Jesus Christ and being obedient to the work of the Holy Spirit.
- Regular practice of spiritual disciplines and an active prayer life.
- Biblically oriented and committed to the truth and authority of the Word of God.
- Skilled preacher; Making the gospel and Word of God relevant to people’s lives and presenting it with clarity and conviction.
- Effective communicator; Actively listening to others, incorporating ideas, and conveying information clearly and concisely.
- Experienced servant leader with wisdom to unify the body of believers, and able to gain support of others to achieve the vision of PPBC.
- A person of integrity who has a good reputation with those inside and outside the Church.
- Able to identify and develop gifts and skills within PPBC, towards the goal of developing and equipping the lay leadership.
- Supportive, encouraging, empathetic and responsive to the spiritual care needs of the congregation.
- A passion and a calling to minister to the people attending PPBC and the broader community of Guelph, including the unchurched.
- Able and willing to be flexible in scheduling to accommodate responsibilities of the position.
- In agreement with the Statement of Faith and the Covenant of Membership of PPBC - https://www.prioryparkchurch.com/faith.html.
- Undergraduate degree in Theology.
- Graduate degree in Theology is strongly preferred.
- Experience as a pastor is preferred.
- CBOQ accreditation, or the willingness to acquire accreditation.
Role and Responsibilities
- As a Spirit-led member of the Elders board, to work in close partnership with PPBC leadership, staff and ministry leaders.
- To oversee intentional discipleship of congregants using the model of “Belong, Grow, and Serve”.
- Regularly preach the Word of God.
- Foster a deeply rooted culture of prayer in the congregation.
- Encourage and equip lay leadership within PPBC (identifying and developing gifts and skills).
- Plan and lead weekly Sunday worship and other services (for example: Good Friday, Christmas, weddings, baptisms, child dedications, and funerals).
- Minister to our congregants, showing loving compassion, overseeing pastoral care including biblical counselling, home or hospital visits, and relationship building.
- Prepare and equip congregants to relate the Christian faith to others in an increasingly secular society (fulfilling the Great Commission).
Please submit resume to Kevin Latam at firstname.lastname@example.org
Priory Park Baptist Church welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.