“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Discipleship Culture Spaces
At CBOQ, we have created two discipleship culture spaces: one for pastors, and one for anyone.
The Discipleship Culture Cohort is for pastors. Pastors are invited to commit to meeting from September through June. This cohort creates a monthly space for pastors to cultivate their own personal relationship with Jesus and develop a culture of discipleship in the local church. This is a safe space for pastors to learn and grow, a space where we work out our own sense of pastoral identity and calling. It is a space where we as pastors can be themselves, admit struggles and prayerfully discern how God wants us to make disciples.
The Discipleship Culture Series is for anyone who is working toward developing a culture of discipleship in the local church – pastors, small group leaders, small group coaches. Participating together as a team of leaders from your church provides an exponential opportunity for growth in the discipleship culture at your church.
Discipleship Culture Cohort is a monthly cohort experience for pastors. It is for pastor’s personal spirituality and your leadership as a pastor. Our vision is to cultivate a culture of discipleship in the local church.
Leadership can be lonely. Pastors need friends who can talk about their intimacy with Jesus. They also need a safe space to work out their own approach to ministry. These online conversations are for you as pastors who desire friendship, mutual support, and growth.
In order to lead, we need to be led. We are seeking to grow God’s people but we need safe spaces to work out our own practical theology. We may find ourselves discipling a few individuals at our churches. While this is good, it is not enough. Discipleship must work its way through the whole church, and it must start with us. This is not easy. We need to dismantle and challenge some our old ways to ministry in order to plant new ways.
Peter Scazzero said that defining culture is difficult, “because culture consists primarily of unspoken rules about “the way that we do things around here.”1 We are going to put into words the different realities of our churches and seek to discern how we can grow in our call to make disciples of all nations.
Conversations from the Soul of Pastors to Ministry of Pastors
- Soul of Pastors – This space will be primarily focused on our relationship with God and our personal well-being out of which healthy ministry arises.
- Ministry of Pastors – This portion will be a mixture of personal reflection, conversation, and teaching, aimed at integrating discipleship into our ministry and developing discipleship in small groups. The focus goes beyond simply discipling individuals to cultivating a discipleship culture.
Each Discipleship Conversations is a two-hour monthly commitment.
- 10-11am – Soul of Pastors – Focus on our relationship with God
- 11-12pm – Ministry of Pastors – Focus on our ministry for and with God.
Each month we will explore a different topic:
- September 23 – Introduction
- October 21 – Community
- November 18 – Responsibility
- December 9 – Multiplication of Leaders & Communities
- January 20 – Discernment
- February 17 – Introduction to Spiritual Formation
- March 24 – Spiritual Formation – Spiritual Practices
- April 21 – Spiritual Formation – Information vs. Formation
- May 19 – Spiritual Formation – Talking/Listening in Groups
- June 23 – Working towards a Theology and Practice of Discipleship
Space is limited to 24 participants.
The Discipleship Culture series will reflect upon the Emotionally Healthy Discipleship – Moving from Shallow Christianity to Deep Transformation (EHD) by Pete Scazzero. EHD will be a companion as we move through our series together. We hope and pray that this book will help us to go deeper and cultivate a discipleship culture in your church.
Who Should Attend
All discipleship practitioners, pastors, church board members, small group leaders, small group coaches, anyone who is serious about cultivating a culture of discipleship.
What to Expect
Expect to grow in discipleship. Expect deep reflection, conversation, and embodied practices around cultivating a culture of discipleship. Don’t expect easy answers or things to copy in your own context. The series will be theological and practical in nature.
How to Participate
- Commit to Attending ALL five sessions
- Purchase your book from Read On Bookstore
- Invite Other Leaders to Participate
- Prepare – Read the relevant chapters and/or listen to the Emotionally Healthy Leader Podcast with Pete Scazzero.
Session 1: Developing a Discipleship Culture – September 30, 10am-12pm
Session 2: Growing Healthy Discipleship – November 25, 10am-12pm
Session 3: Embracing our Humanity, Limits and Loss – January 27, 10am-12pm
Session 4: Love, Story, and Weakness – March 31, 10am-12pm
Session 5: Cultivating a Discipleship Culture – May 26, 10am-12pm