CBOQ is part of a national Baptist initiative to sponsor and welcome Syrian and Iraqi refugee families to Canada. And the Church, moved to action, can be God’s answer to untold prayers, to bring grace and justice and redemption in a situation that can seem impossible.
Please note that we are receiving a larger volume of inquiries in support of this initiative. Thank you for taking the time to review all of the information provided here before contacting CBOQ.
- Any CBOQ church can sponsor a family either individually or as a group of churches. If you are not a CBOQ church, we cannot assist you. (see here)
- Under the Blended Visa Office Referred program (BVOR), the Canadian Government will cover 50% of the costs of sponsoring a refugee family.
- The cost to the church will range between $12,000 and $35,000 depending on the size of the
family, their specific needs and where you are (urban centre vs. semi-rural environment).
- Up to 40% of the funds can be in the form of gifts in kind – furniture, clothing, etc.
- Families can arrive within six months instead of the usual two to six years.
- The financial commitment is for one year.
- In addition to Syrian and Iraqi refugees there are many other refugees who need assistance under the BVOR Program.
If you are ready to consider sponsoring a family, please review Refugee BVOR Sponsorship. This document will answer some of your questions. Included are several links you will find helpful. Once you have reviewed all of this information, please complete your Request to Sponsor as an expression of your intent to participate.
Other ways to participate!
Donate: Canadian Baptist Ministries is working on the ground in Lebanon.
If you are a community group or an individual seeking assistance for yourself or a family member, we are unable to help you. Our churches are autonomous and make their own decisions. We do not have the resources and personnel to match you with churches.