Students will have a significant supervised preparatory role in planning two community celebrations:
1. Mimico Party in the Park: (Tuesday June 13th 5:30-8:30 pm) A major annual community festival attracting about 3000 people with the goal of promoting community strength, spirit and safety. This will be the 20th year for this event. There will be a special emphasis on this anniversary as well as on Canada’s 150th. There will be special entertainment, cake and tree seedlings to help commemorate. (See http://mimicopartyinthepark.com/ & https://www.facebook.com/MimicoPartyinthePark ) Students will help in the planning and preparation for this event, serving on the planning team, and contacting participants. Students will serve at a pavilion and help promote and collect registrations for Holiday Club during the event.
2. Holiday Club: A week long day camp offered in late August 21-25, typically attended by close to 80 children and youth. Student will plan theme related, ideas, décor and materials. They will prepare materials/ideas for crafts, music, workshops. Will also write scripts for skits, plan activities and will also help promote the event. Students will help to supervise indoor and outdoor activities/programs during the Holiday Club event. (Video of last year’s holiday Club is available on our church web site, http://www.mimicobaptistchurch.org/) Students will be assisted and guided in this by adult volunteers. Leadership Training Workshop: (August 16-18) Students will help in the planning, preparation and supervision of a 3 day leadership training course for youth leaders and helpers the week before Holiday Club. Again, adult volunteers assist with leader training.
NOTE: to accommodate the above assignment, Student’s work period will be divided, with 8 weeks of work in May and June, and 2 weeks in August. Also as some evening work and other variables is required so there will need to be some flexibility in completion of working hours. Also note that building is receiving a new entrance so there will be construction taking place at work site location.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
• Leadership and ability to work with others
• Excellent communication and relational skills
• Works well independently and has good organizational skills
• Works well with children and youth – police check required
• Creativity and writing skills
• High competency in computer skills
• Comfort in a Christian faith environment
Must meet hiring criteria of Canada Summer Jobs program – these jobs are dependent on successful application for funding from Canada Summer Jobs
Role and Responsibilities
The students will be directed, monitored and mentored by the Senior Pastor Jim Sanderson with support of volunteer staff and designates of Mimico Baptist Church. Jim Sanderson will be on site most of the time. A determined and agreed upon set of goals and course of action will be negotiated with the students to provide criteria for evaluation. Students will be mentored through assigned activities and diagnostic/evaluative discussions to develop skills in planning, problem solving, creative use of available resources and working cooperatively. Regular (daily and weekly) meetings will help to give and receive advise/feedback towards a constructive evaluation. An evaluation will be required of both the employer for the student and of the student for the employer.
Two positions for Post-Secondary Students (preference for but not restricted to)
• Aboriginal student
• Student who is member of a visible minority
Email or send resume and cover letter to Pastor Jim Sanderson
email@example.com Phone: 416-251-2855
Mimico Baptist Church welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process