The senior pastor assumes the church leadership role that requires a strong faith in Jesus Christ, passion for people and commitment to the vision of the LBCM and mission of God’s Kingdom. The senior pastor must be exemplary in spiritual walk, have a strong desire to teach and to preach God’s Word. This role also requires providing spiritual leadership to the deacons, the pastoral teams and leaders of the three Language Congregations in the ministries of LBCM, and the ability to collaborate with the church ministry partners. At the same time, the senior pastor represents LBCM in communal and ecclesiastical functions.
Overview of Church and Community
Logos Baptist Church (Milliken) or LBCM is a bi-literate and trilingual church with three congregations, namely Cantonese, Mandarin and English.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- A person of integrity, mature faith in Jesus Christ, strong gift in the preaching and teaching of God’s Word, ability to shepherd pastors, staff and church leaders.
- A person that accepts the vision, mission and core values of LBCM, CBOQ accreditation or willing to be accredited with CBOQ.
- Strong commitment to the ministries of LBCM and her strategic ministry partners.
- Solid interpersonal skills, teamwork oriented, and ability to communicate and lead people from diverse backgrounds.
- Sound understanding of Canadian culture and the Now and Next Generation.
- Theologically and biblically sound, M.Div minimum from a recognized evangelical seminary, desire for further learning.
Minimum 7 years of full-time vocational ministry experience in a North America Asian-ethnic church with multiple pastoral staff team setting.
Role and Responsibilities
Vision Casting: Based on the mission and core values, and the present situation of LBCM and with complete reliance on the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the senior pastor has to lead and work with the pastors, deacons and leaders of the three Language Congregations to develop a vision for the church. Thus, development plans and strategies can be mapped out to fulfil the vision.
Spiritual Leadership: The senior pastor is the spiritual leader of the church. This spiritual leader must have a heart for God, able to inspire, challenge and equip the congregants to identify and exercise their spiritual gifts, able to provide spiritual guidance to the church particularly in times of turbulence and confusion, be a model to the congregants in the pursuit of God.
Preaching and Teaching: The senior pastor must be able to preach and teach God’s Word with passion and sound doctrine, and relevant to the needs of the congregants and the church. The senior pastor also needs to provide guidance to the preaching and teaching of the pastors.
Relationship Building: Since body life is part of the church, the senior pastor has to journey with people through encouragement and empowerment, particularly with the deacons, pastors and leaders, so that they have a vibrant relationship with Jesus and fellow people, able to live out their faith and the Kingdom values.
Management and Administration: The senior pastor must be a solid team player, able to lead and mentor the pastors and leaders to become a cohesive and united team for ministry. The senior pastor will work closely with the Deacon Board in pastoral recruitment, mentoring and overseeing the pastoral development. At the same time, the senior pastor oversees the day-to-day operation of the church with the help of the church administrator. Conflict management is also part of the senior pastor’s role.
• Preferably served for a minimum of three years after being ordained.
• Previous senior pastor experience is an asset.
Please submit your application to:
Deacon Derek Lee
Chairperson of the Board of Deacons
Logos Baptist Church (Milliken) welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process