Work within a team setting to shepherd about 200 congregants of diverse age groups dominantly of Asian origin in the English Division
Overview of Church and Community
Currently the church has a team of 8 pastoral staff and 1100+ congregants across four Divisions: English (~200 people), Mandarin (~200 people), Cantonese (~550 people) and Young Life Division (~150 people). The church is strategically situated next to Hwy 404 between Major Mackenzie Drive E. and 16th Avenue in a residential area developed over the past 20 years and is expanding into the north with predominately Asian origin.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
• With calling from God and with strong passion to serve in the body of Christ
• Theological education: M.Div. or above from an accredited and recognized theological institution
• Pastoral experience in North America of similar church size and culture
• Excellent communication skills in English. Knowledge of Chinese is an asset
• Be a team player and cooperate with other Divisional pastors for ministry alignment and church unity
• Accredited or willing to become accredited with CBOQ
Role and Responsibilities
• Be involved in general pastoral duties and the development of the English Division.
• Work with church leaders to recruit, train, coach and support related ministry leaders.
• Serve as mentor to the assigned Small Groups, shepherd Small Group Leaders, visit those groups on a regular basis and offer support and realistic help to them.
• Participate in pulpit ministry, teaching ministry and prayer ministry
• Provide support, visitation and pastoral counseling to related leaders and members as needed.
• Attend meetings of related ministry including Pastoral Staff meeting, Council meeting, Deacon Board meeting, Members meeting, English Division meeting etc as required.
Small group experience is an asset
Deaconess Lydia Cheung
Church Phone Number: 905-887-6222
Markham Chinese Baptist Church welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.