General Pastoral duties with a focus on caring and assist the development of the Small Group Shepherding Platform in the Cantonese Division.
Overview of Church and Community
In 1990 Markham Chinese Baptist Church (MCBC) was sent out by Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) as its Mission church in Markham, Ontario. By 1996, MCBC became an independent and autonomous church in the heart of the community. The church is strategically situated next to Hwy404 between Major Mackenzie Drive E. and 16th Avenue in a residential area developed over the past 20 years and is expanding into the north with predominately Asian immigrants. Currently the church has a team of 7 pastoral staff and 1100+ congregants across four Divisions: English (200), Mandarin (200), Cantonese (550) and Young Life Division (150).
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- With calling from God and with strong passion to serve in the body of Christ.
- Theological education: Graduated from accredited and recognized theological seminaries with minimum qualification of Master of Divinity degree.
- Accept the purpose, mission and doctrine of MCBC. CBOQ accredited or willing to become accredited with CBOQ
- Has passion to plan and lead Caring Ministry in the Cantonese congregation.
- Pastoral experience in North America.
- Speak fluent Cantonese and English. Mandarin is an asset.
- Be a team player to co-work with other Cantonese Pastors to nurture and minister the Cantonese congregation and cooperate with other Division Pastors to shepherd the whole Church.
Role and Responsibilities
- Cast vision of caring to the ministry leaders and Cantonese congregation in general
- Work through the caring Ministry Committee to develop and implement the caring ministry in the Cantonese Division.
- Works with church leaders to recruit, train, coach and support related ministry leaders.
- Serve as Mentor to the assigned Small Groups and visit those Groups on a regular basis and offer support and realistic help to them.
- Assist in the development of the Small Group Shepherding Platform.
- Participates in pulpit ministry, teaching ministry and prayer ministry as invited.
- Provides support, visitation and pastoral counseling to related leaders and members as needed.
- Attends meetings of related ministry including Staff meeting, Council meeting, Deacon Board meeting, Members meeting, Cantonese Division meeting etc. as required.
- Reports on ministry progress on a regular basis to the Cantonese Lead Pastor/Interim Senior Pastor.
- Performs other ministerial and administrative duties as assigned by the Cantonese Lead Pastor/Interim Senior Pastor.
Name: Deaconess Annie Lau
Phone number: 905-887-6222
9580 Woodbine Ave
Markham, ON, L6C 1H8
Markham Chinese Baptist Church welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.