Calvary Baptist Church in Gravenhurst is seeking a full-time, Associate Pastor of Youth and Family Ministry to join our team. Our new team member will focus on these major areas:
(1) spiritual formation of Calvary youth (grades 8-12),
(2) outreach into Gravenhurst high school,
(3) development and oversight of mid-week children’s ministry,
(4) development of volunteer leaders,
(5) partnership with parents/guardians,
(6) integration of our youth in the life of our church, and
(7) oversight of audio visual system.
A candidate will have a strong sense of call into youth ministry, a conviction towards developing an intergenerational community, a team-oriented mindset/work ethic, and a broad understanding of effective ministry in the 21st century.
This person will work in collaboration with the Children’s Ministry Director to see the vision of Calvary carried out. The position reports to the Lead Pastor.
Overview of Church and Community
Calvary is a congregation which desires to see the name of Christ high and lifted up. We look to His Word for our direction, our answers and our purpose. We believe the Holy Spirit is looking to save and sanctify all who are willing. We are not legalistic but hold the Truth of God tightly and let go of the things that don’t really matter. We realize that although God never changes, the way in which people worship Him does. Calvary looks to become a multi-generational church - one that honours our history but looks to the future. We genuinely want to reach Gravenhurst with the only gospel that saves.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
• A formal education in ministry is preferred but exceptions will be considered where hands-on practical experience exists.
• Capable of creating, designing, and executing relevant curricula, leading small and large groups, and planning events and activities for young believers.
• A mature Christian faith
• Accredited or willing to become accredited with CBOQ
Role and Responsibilities
• Develop and maintain authentic, Christ-centered relationships with the pastor, staff, elders, deacons, youth, parents/guardians and volunteers.
• Lead the Calvary youth ministry with vision and strategies that are in line with the vision and core values of Calvary.
• Develop a ministry in the Gravenhurst high school working with the existing Christian youth with intent of outreach to the un-churched youth.
• Present God's word faithfully and effectively to the youth – including preaching, teaching, mentoring, leading Bible studies and discipleship/leadership development.
• Invite, develop, and empower volunteers to minister to the youth and families, and ensure youth leaders and volunteers are in compliance with the church policies developed for the safety and security of youth.
• Equip parents to disciple youth. Connect families of youth to grow together. Encourage parenting in the context of a faith community.
• Create opportunities for intergenerational ministry. Integrate youth into and encourage youth to participate in the life of the church.
• Contribute to finding ways to restructure the shape of preteen and youth ministry to bridge the gap between ministries and create a more natural transition from preteens to youth and beyond.
• Plan, direct, oversee and execute weekly youth programs, special events, retreats, outreach events, etc. for the youth and family ministry.
• Develop and maintain an annual youth ministry budget.
• Oversee Youth fundraising efforts.
• Develop and oversee a mid-week children’s program, recruiting, training and encouraging volunteers.
• Oversee the audio visual system, recruiting, training and encouraging volunteers.
• Attend and participate in staff and pastoral team meetings, representing the voice of youth in discussions on ministry issues, vision and direction of the church.
• Other duties of a pastoral nature may be assigned to the youth pastor from time to time.
A candidate for this position should be a strong follower of Christ dedicated to growing in their personal relationship with Him, engaging regularly in spiritual disciplines, and embodying the two greatest commandments (love God, love others). They should be passionate about youth and intergenerational ministries, and through a thorough knowledge and continued study of the Bible, bring a balanced approach to evangelism and ministry (being rooted in the love of the Father, depending on the grace of the Son, and being filled with the power of the Holy Spirit), relating biblical truth to daily life.
A candidate should be a capable leader who is able to connect with diverse groups of people. They should have strong organizational skills and be comfortable managing ministry responsibilities - including teaching and training others, and assessing programs and activities - but most of all, should be able to relate personally and socially to youth and parents and have an awareness of the complexities of adolescent development and faith formation.
Please send CV, cover letter, philosophy of ministry/statement of faith, and a brief biography to Jeanette Leach at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions or further information, please contact Jeanette Leach at email@example.com.
Calvary Baptist Gravenhurst welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.