SCBC seeks a Finance Officer to manage and oversee the accounting functions of dayto-
day operation and financial procedures, monthly reports, and annual audit to satisfy
CRA, EHT, WSIB and other relevant Government compliance requirements.
The incumbent is someone familiar with bank reconciliations, accounts payable and
receivable, audits, and budget preparations coupled with a heart for ministry, a leader
who can equip, coach and train supporting staff and volunteer team. This position
requires working closely with the Finance Team, ministry leaders, staff members and
volunteers; and reports directly to the Administration Manager.
This is a full time position.
Overview of Church and Community
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is an evangelical church with three congregations: Cantonese, English, and Mandarin, with a combined weekly attendance of approximately 1,900. We are strategically located in the Greater Toronto Area which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural area in North America.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
• Solid knowledge of financial and accounting best practice and procedures
• Proven work experience as a finance officer or similar role
• Experience using financial software, e.g. Quick Book and others and possess advance
• Experience with managing staff is an asset
• Knowledge of financial regulations, CRA rules with respect to charity and not-for-profit
• Excellent analytical and numerical skills
• Sharp time management skills
• Strong ethics, with an ability to manage confidential data
• BSc degree or post-secondary diploma, certificate in Finance, Accounting or Economics
• Professional qualifications as a CPA (CGA or CMA) is considered a plus
• Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
• Excellent communication skills and good command of written and verbal English and
Chinese (Cantonese) is a must. Spoken Mandarin is an asset.
• Excellent interpersonal skills – able to address issues, members concerns and event
organizers in a professional manner.
• Exhibit leadership in a team environment and able to equip, train and coach staff to gain
higher accounting and finance skills
• Spiritually mature believer in a growing relationship with Jesus Christ with a passion for
the local church and the wider kingdom of God.
Role and Responsibilities
1. Lead and supervise accounting staff in conducting the following procurement,
finance, banking and accounting functions including but not limited to:
- process purchase requisitions, invoices and payment requests
- keep accurate records for all daily transactions, track bank deposits and payments
- record accounts payable and accounts receivable
- perform monthly reconciliations of bank statements & credit accounts including online
- prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports
2. Direct and manage accurate completion of the following functions:
- manage & support the operation of Quick Book, ensure proper recording in QB
- review monthly bank reconciliation for any long outstanding cheques and to follow up the
clearance or cancellation
- review monthly budget Vs actual financial reports ,analyze accounting records to assess
accuracy & completeness and to provide explanations for any fluctuations or
discrepancies from budget
- prepare year-end adjustments & accounting schedules for annual audit
- review the HST returns for filing
- supervise the record & update of the capital asset inventory listing
- assist with budget preparation and participate in financial audits
- review and implement financial policies and procedures
- provide support to accounting staff to match operational and audit requirements
3. Assist internal auditor to carry out the following functions:
- ensures that the accounting policies and procedures are in compliance with laws and
regulations (By-laws, audit, banking, ONCA, CRA (charitable purposes) or any other
- assess / evaluate risk & controls and report on the efficiency and effectiveness of the
implementation of policies
- verify the existence of assets & recommend proper safeguards for protection
- liaise with auditor with respect to the annual audit
4. Provide support to Board of Directors on compliance report and related issues
concerning finance and accounting enquires
- perform compliance audit, report to government bodies when required
- prepare policies and guidelines and compliance report for Board of Directors
- organize and coordinate training and workshops relating to compliance and policy
5. Provide Ministry support and volunteer coordination
6. Assist Church Communication as required and directed by Administration
- Coordinate and collect ministry information, stories, data for internal communication
- assist editing and translation of collected ministry stories, articles, reports ready for
promotion, communication, printing and/or posting on website or other electronic media.
How to Apply:
Please provide a cover letter expressing your interest in the position, along with a resume.
This should not exceed four (4) pages combined. Combine both items into one PDF document,
named as follows : Last Name_First Name_Finance Officer
Applications will be accepted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and must be submitted on or before
5 pm April 21st, 2017.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment
process please contact Philip at email@example.com
• We appreciate your interest in this position, but only those selected for further
consideration will be contacted.
• Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis. Applicants are advised that the
position may be awarded in advance of the April 21st, 2017 application deadline; please
apply at your earliest convenience.
• Applications will be kept on file confidentially for a period of time after the selection
process is complete.
• Misrepresentation or failure to disclose accurate information will result in your
disqualification from this or any future job selection processes.
• Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church is an equal opportunity employer and encourages
applications from qualified people with disabilities, members of visible minority groups