For over 120 years, Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec have been on a journey of intentional collaboration and mutual mission as we impact our communities with the love and salvation of Jesus Christ. God has blessed our family of churches with strength, creativity and diversity. We seek to support and enable our member churches to be healthy, mission-minded congregations as we serve God together. We look forward to the possibility of partnering with you.
If you are a new church, either an existing congregation or one in formative stages of organization, that is interested in learning more about what it means to be part of CBOQ, please contact Clint Mix or Carol Gouveia at 416-620-2949.
The Benefits of Partnership
- Shared relationship and identity as Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec
- Training and resources for ministry leaders
- Growth of relationships between ministry leaders and between member churches that create an increased commitment to our shared goals and identity
- Consultations with churches to develop integral ministry responses in their communities
- Accreditation services for mutual benefit of churches and ministry leaders
- Training and resources for church leaders and administrators in developing functional church structures
- Youth, children and family ministries resources, including retreats and curriculum
- Clergy care services
- Church renewal services
- Extensive benefits program for active and retired ministry professionals
- Pastoral search and placement services
- Consultations for church planting initiatives
- Grants to churches for new ministry initiatives
- Partnership across Canada with Canadian Baptists of Western Canada, Convention of Atlantic Baptist Churches and the Union d’Eglises de Baptistes, and internationally through Canadian Baptist Ministries
- Assistance with construction and renovations through an extensive Mortgage Loan Program
- Resources for churches and ministry leaders
The Joining Process
Step 1: The first step to becoming a part of CBOQ is joining with your local CBOQ association. Meet with Association and present the following documents
- Your Constitution and/or By-laws – What are your church’s values and goals in mission, your covenanting principles and ministry practices? (CBOQ Guide to Church Constitutions CBOQ Church Incorporation Guide)
- Your History – How long have you been meeting? Why did you start meeting? What are the dates and fact?
- Leadership - Please provide the names and contact information including email for your pastor(s) and Chair of Deacons/Elders, Chair of Council/Board, Treasurer, Clerk/Administrator
- Why CBOQ – We’d like a letter with a motion from your congregation indicating its desire to seek affiliation with CBOQ.
- Commitment – Signed copy of CBOQ and Church Covenant Agreement. (CBOQ Covenant Agreement)
- Your status – Copy of CRA-approved application for charitable status that indicates charitable registration number.
- Location and Contact – Where do you gather to meet? Specific address and other contact information?
- Association Recommendation – We’d like a letter from your local Association indicating their welcome and recommendation.
Step 2: Once the Association approves, then the above documents along with a letter from your local Association indicating their welcome and recommendations should be submitted to CBOQ
- CBOQ will review the documentatation
- CBOQ leadership will arrange for a meet and greet preferably face to face.
- CBOQ will present the file to CBOQ Board at their next meeting.
- Once approved by the Board, all of the priveleges and responsibilities of membership are in effect.
- CBOQ will invite you to the next Annual Assembly where you will be formally welcomed.